January 27th, 2011
It's been a great off-season & it is about to wrap up soon. I've been spending most of my time on my message board lately ( http://pneshek.proboards.com/index.cgi? ). There have been tons of things going on with the boards lately & if you are into collecting anything this is a pretty fun place. In the last month we have had a couple of free signed baseball giveaways of guys like Nolan Ryan, Yogi Berra, Catfish Hunter & a bunch of others. Also there have been lots of game used items from myself and teammates that has been traded off. The best part though is that it has become a pretty neat community for trading and sharing info. Like I said above if you are into collecting of anything this might appeal to you.
I've spent most of my collecting time cleaning up my collection and I can finally report after three long years I'm happy where I'm at with my collection. I think every collector goes through a phase like this if they are serious enough where they have just too much stuff of too many different sports or items that just don't fit in. For me this stuff kind of took on a life of it's own & I had to take a long hard look at what I wanted to achieve. I decided that I needed to pick certain items I wanted to go after and get rid of everything else. When everything was said & done I was looking at a few different items
Things I Collect
1. 1970 Topps Baseball PSA Graded Cards - No certain reason...I wanted to do graded cards and I wanted a tough set to go after over my lifetime
2. Single Signed Baseballs (ROMLB, RONL, ROAL) of Hall of Famers - I have quite a collection & figured to keep going on this journey
3. Kirby Puckett Signed Items, bats, balls, cards, books, photos
4. Series 1-7 Topps Garbage Pail Kids PSA Graded Cards - I've loved these things since pre-school
5. TTM (Through The Mail) or In-Person Autographs on cards...Baseball or Hockey. I have 10 full bloated binders of cards people have given me over the years or that I got myself...I love these things and will never get rid of them...unless of course in a trade
6. ROCK N ROLL - Early Music Autographs - Probably the biggest thing I collect...I spent the off-season acquiring tons of autographs in this category...Eddie Cochran, The Big Bopper, Jan & Dean, Chuck Berry the original Jimmie Rodgers....I started getting stuff over the past couple years & I have a pretty nice collection going. I'm very interested in anything pre 1970's & will listen anytime to trade offers. I like anything in this category 8x10's, Albums, Note Cards, contracts...anything
7. Historical autographs...anyone that is highly collectible...Napolean, JFK...stuff like that
8. Random stuff...I did keep some items just because they are cool...I still collect some jerseys...kept some nice looking football minis & a couple Game Used jersey cards
Things I pulled out of
I pretty much pulled out of baseball cards...shocking but I just didn't like the prices on a pack of cards & had an incredible time getting my money back with them. They are fun to collect & I really had a blast with the Topps Million promotion but they just aren't doing it for me. If anything I might try to focus on 1 set...Topps Heritage. I believe this is one product that they have right.
8x10's...don't like them (unless they are RocknRoll or have some type of significance) & don't really collect them. Most that I get in trade go directly to my brother.