News and Announcements
CSSA BOARD MINUTES
January 28, 2019
The monthly meeting of the CSSA Board was held 1-14-2019, at Game Day, and called to order by Norm Thiem at 6:15 PM;
Present members: Ray DeLuca, Bob Werner, Darrell Moreland, Norm Thiem, Mike Parson, Robbie Crider, Dewey Hom, John Humeston, Don DiSalvo, Ricky Shoup, Bob Hammond, Randy Bergman and Dick O’Conner;
Absent Members: 0
A. Treasures Report: Ending Balance for 2017 was $10,927.34, and ending balance for 2018 was $10,637.87. With some new added expenses, the CSSA is maintaining a balance within $300 of last year. The report was voted on and approved. We will also have Anne Ryan to publish financial statement to our website.
B. Sponsorships for the teams were discussed to see who’s in and who’s out. Currently there are only 3 paid sponsors for 2019. We need everyone on board AS WELL AS PLAYERS to work on existing and new sponsorships. Darrell agreed to sponsor a team for the upcoming year.
C. Since Ray arrived late the minutes for December had to wait to be discussed. Minutes were discussed, and only 1 correction needed to be made: Bob Hammond was present at the December meeting.
D. The recipients who received the donations, presented by the CSSA in December, were very grateful and express their sincere appreciation to the entire CSSA.
E. CPRA will be hosting an awards banquet on Thursday, 1-24-19, at the Bluffs in Canton, GA at 6:00 PM. Members of the BOD will attend and support the CPRA for all they do for our community.
F. We are still looking for someone to step forward and take over the office of Treasurer for CSSA in 2019. Please contact one of the board members to apply for this position.
G. Spring Evaluations will be conducted on the following dates and times:
1. Saturday – February 9, 2019 from 1-4 PM… Hobgood Park
2. Sunday – February 10, 2019 from 1-4 PM… Hobgood Park
3. Sunday – February 24, 2019 from 1-4 PM… Bascomb Carmel Elementary
4. Sunday – March 3, 2019 from 1-4 PM… Bascomb Carmel Elementary
H. Practices will begin on Monday, March 18, 2019, at Hobgood Park.
I. Spring season will begin on Monday, March 25, 2019.
J. The BOD discussed, voted and passed the measure to continue to allow 49 year old players to join the CSSA.
K. Discussed Programs for 2019:
1. New Tuesday Morning League
a. 2 teams for players that want to play an additional day, but are too high a level to play on Wednesday morning;
*Until we can determine how many people sign up for spring and wish to participate in this league it will be PLACED ON HOLD.
a. Players fees will remain at $45;
b. One FREE ticket to banquet per sponsorship; this will save CSSA approx $250
3. Discretionary Expenses
a. Reduce insurance coverage from $2MM to $1MM for D&O… save $468
b. Increase the number & types of awards… cost $240
c. Increase end of season cook-out fund; $200/league… cost $900
d. Fewer Championship Shirts. No co-champs… save $450
e. Set banquet budget at $1000 over ticket sales… save $500
f. No capital expenditures… save $1,675
g. Increase recruitment budget… cost $750
h. No softball sales… cost $665
i. Team-pages fees… cost $695
4. Net change in income… saves $325
L. Add 2 new awards for end of year. This will be discussed & voted at next meeting;
1. Sportsman of the Year
2. Manager of the Year
M. Next meeting will take place 6:30PM, February 4, 2019, R & M Hoagie Shop, 117 E. Main St, Canton, GA
Meeting was adjourned at 8:15 PM.
Spring season is just around the corner!!! CSSA will hold their tryouts and evaluations on Sat Feb 9, Sun Feb 10, Sat Feb 16 and Sun Feb 17, 2019 starting at 1:00pm each day until 5:00pm at our home park – Hobgood Park, Woodstock, GA. Park is located at the Corner of Bells Ferry Road and Towne Lake Parkway with evaluations being held on Field #4*.
Player eligibility is for those men age 49 through even mid 80’s, and is based on skill levels – not ages as with some leagues. CSSA offers 8 league levels playing Monday and Wednesday mornings, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights.
Currently we have 36 teams with approximately 425 members some of which play on multiple teams during the week. Come out and join us for fun, exercise and comradery of the finest.
League play begins approximately week of March 25, 2019.
In the event of inclement weather, please check website for rescheduling information.
For questions or other information requests, please contact Norm Thiem at email@example.com or call 770-757-8467.
Get ready for the new spring season
CSSA BOARD MINUTES
December 3, 2018
I apologize for the minutes being late. I had a computer crash and have waited over 3 weeks for repair.
The monthly meeting of the CSSA Board was held 12-3-2018, at Game Day, and called to order by Norm Thiem at 6:40 PM;
Present members: Ray DeLuca, Bob Werner, Darrell Moreland, Norm Thiem, Mike Parson, Robbie Crider, Dewey Hom, John Humeston, Don DiSalvo and Dick O’Conner;
Absent Members: Randy Bergman, Dan Fleming and Ricky Shoup
A. Minutes for November were read, discussed & approved.
B. Dick O’Conner has been named the new director of the Lowell Lawson League to replace Dan Flemming. A big ‘THANKS’ goes out to Dan for all his hard work and efforts. We wish you well in the future and you’re always welcome to come back.
C. Treasurer Report was presented discussed and passed by the board. Projected 2018, year- end cash balance is $10,452.98. This includes cash in of $440 from Fendley Farmstead, $285 from donations, cash out of $1,080.25 for Fall Championship Shirts and $2,103.00 in charity. The $2,103 was given to 2 players and their family to help with personal expenses. Out of respect for these 2 families, their names are being kept private.
D. Discussed key accomplishments in 2018:
1. Player fees were lowered by 10% while maintaining a balanced budget;
2. An 8th league was created in the fall, providing improved safety for players in the old American League and creating room for future growth in the spring of 2019, and hopefully adding 2 new teams;
3. Bat quality control was initiated to remove altered bats from league play;
4. Managed to maintain 4 teams in the Cornerstone League and 6 teams in the Masters League, despite a loss of players in both leagues;
5. Adding a second corporate sponsor in 2019, Hathaway Insurance;
6. Consensus was that the 2018 Banquet was a huge success and best ever;
7. Raised $1,860.00 from our Charity Golf Tournament (thanks to Tom Cameron);
8. We met our commitment to play all 20 scheduled games;
9. Developed a managers ‘code of conduct’ to make sure that the Mission of CSSA is implemented across all leagues once in place.
E. We are still looking for someone to step forward and take over the office of Treasurer for CSSA in 2019. Please contact one of the board members to apply for this position.
F. Banquet results:
1. $2800 from 140 paying guests;
2. Paid $3800 from 190 total guests including sponsors;
3. $207 taxes;
4. $150 security guard for cash bar;
5. $350 facility fee (in lieu of 2019 sponsor payment);
6. Net loss 2017…$640, Net loss 2018…$1,707
7. Net cash effect: $1007 ($350 discount for 2018 Sidelines Sponsor fee & 2019 Fendley Farmstead);
8. 50/50 Raffle – $230.
G. The BOD has chosen and will ask the following members of the CSSA to be a part of the Rules Committee. The committee will be chaired by Darrell Moreland.
Ray McClure, Mike Ryan, Steve Flemming, Neil Horner, Robert Pritchard, Jerry Bohocheck.
H. Discussed goals for 2019:
1. Add 2 more teams (1 each in National & American Leagues);
2. Headcount of 450 players and 500+ roster spots filled;
3. Attract 8 more external sponsors:
a. Replace GCB, Cruise Planners, Aable John’s and BRC/HME (4),
b. Sponsors for Skip Wells (4),
c. Sponsors for new National & American League teams (2),
d. We have 2 new sponsor committals from the banquet.
4. Two MAJOR fund raisers (Spring & Fall Golf Tournaments);
5. Reduce banquet loss;
6. Have 2 or more candidates for ALL BOD positions for the fall elections;
7. Finish ALL leagues with playoffs and/or head to head (no co-champs).
Meeting was adjourned at 8:45 PM.
Unfortunately this is a busy weekend for funeral services for our CSSA members –
Dorman Lane, visitation at 10am with services at 12 noon at Antioch Christian Church, 3595 Sugar Pike Rd, Canton, GA 30115.
Al Allison’s wife Ibby, services are Saturday at 2pm at Christ Episcopal Church, 1210 Wooten Lake Rd, Kennesaw, GA 30144.
Golf Tournament Monday Nov 12 at Towne Lake Hills Golf Club, Woodstock, GA 30189
CSSA Banquet, Monday Nov 12 at Fendley Farmstead, 1287 Sturgis Rd (off Lower Burris Rd), Canton, GA 30114 – 6:30 – 9:30pm