News and Announcements
DEC 2018 BOD MEETING
CSSA BOARD MINUTES
December 3, 2018
I apologize for the minutes being late. I had a computer crash and have waited over 3 weeks for repair.
The monthly meeting of the CSSA Board was held 12-3-2018, at Game Day, and called to order by Norm Thiem at 6:40 PM;
Present members: Ray DeLuca, Bob Werner, Darrell Moreland, Norm Thiem, Mike Parson, Robbie Crider, Dewey Hom, John Humeston, Don DiSalvo and Dick O’Conner;
Absent Members: Randy Bergman, Dan Fleming and Ricky Shoup
A. Minutes for November were read, discussed & approved.
B. Dick O’Conner has been named the new director of the Lowell Lawson League to replace Dan Flemming. A big ‘THANKS’ goes out to Dan for all his hard work and efforts. We wish you well in the future and you’re always welcome to come back.
C. Treasurer Report was presented discussed and passed by the board. Projected 2018, year- end cash balance is $10,452.98. This includes cash in of $440 from Fendley Farmstead, $285 from donations, cash out of $1,080.25 for Fall Championship Shirts and $2,103.00 in charity. The $2,103 was given to 2 players and their family to help with personal expenses. Out of respect for these 2 families, their names are being kept private.
D. Discussed key accomplishments in 2018:
1. Player fees were lowered by 10% while maintaining a balanced budget;
2. An 8th league was created in the fall, providing improved safety for players in the old American League and creating room for future growth in the spring of 2019, and hopefully adding 2 new teams;
3. Bat quality control was initiated to remove altered bats from league play;
4. Managed to maintain 4 teams in the Cornerstone League and 6 teams in the Masters League, despite a loss of players in both leagues;
5. Adding a second corporate sponsor in 2019, Hathaway Insurance;
6. Consensus was that the 2018 Banquet was a huge success and best ever;
7. Raised $1,860.00 from our Charity Golf Tournament (thanks to Tom Cameron);
8. We met our commitment to play all 20 scheduled games;
9. Developed a managers ‘code of conduct’ to make sure that the Mission of CSSA is implemented across all leagues once in place.
E. We are still looking for someone to step forward and take over the office of Treasurer for CSSA in 2019. Please contact one of the board members to apply for this position.
F. Banquet results:
1. $2800 from 140 paying guests;
2. Paid $3800 from 190 total guests including sponsors;
3. $207 taxes;
4. $150 security guard for cash bar;
5. $350 facility fee (in lieu of 2019 sponsor payment);
6. Net loss 2017…$640, Net loss 2018…$1,707
7. Net cash effect: $1007 ($350 discount for 2018 Sidelines Sponsor fee & 2019 Fendley Farmstead);
8. 50/50 Raffle – $230.
G. The BOD has chosen and will ask the following members of the CSSA to be a part of the Rules Committee. The committee will be chaired by Darrell Moreland.
Ray McClure, Mike Ryan, Steve Flemming, Neil Horner, Robert Pritchard, Jerry Bohocheck.
H. Discussed goals for 2019:
1. Add 2 more teams (1 each in National & American Leagues);
2. Headcount of 450 players and 500+ roster spots filled;
3. Attract 8 more external sponsors:
a. Replace GCB, Cruise Planners, Aable John’s and BRC/HME (4),
b. Sponsors for Skip Wells (4),
c. Sponsors for new National & American League teams (2),
d. We have 2 new sponsor committals from the banquet.
4. Two MAJOR fund raisers (Spring & Fall Golf Tournaments);
5. Reduce banquet loss;
6. Have 2 or more candidates for ALL BOD positions for the fall elections;
7. Finish ALL leagues with playoffs and/or head to head (no co-champs).
Meeting was adjourned at 8:45 PM.
Reminders - Funerals, Golf and Banquet - Nov 10 thru Nov 12
Unfortunately this is a busy weekend for funeral services for our CSSA members –
Dorman Lane, visitation at 10am with services at 12 noon at Antioch Christian Church, 3595 Sugar Pike Rd, Canton, GA 30115.
Al Allison’s wife Ibby, services are Saturday at 2pm at Christ Episcopal Church, 1210 Wooten Lake Rd, Kennesaw, GA 30144.
Golf Tournament Monday Nov 12 at Towne Lake Hills Golf Club, Woodstock, GA 30189
CSSA Banquet, Monday Nov 12 at Fendley Farmstead, 1287 Sturgis Rd (off Lower Burris Rd), Canton, GA 30114 – 6:30 – 9:30pm
NOV 2018 BOD MEETING
CSSA BOARD MINUTES
November 5, 2018
The monthly meeting of the CSSA Board was held at R & M Hoagie Shop in Canton, and called to order by Norm Thiem at 6:30 PM;
Present members: Ray DeLuca, Bob Werner, Norm Thiem, Robbie Crider, Darrell Moreland, Mike Parson, John Humeston, Dewey Hom, Bob Hammond & Don DiSalvo; Also in attendance was Ricky Shoup;
Absent Members: Randy Bergman & Dan Fleming;
A. Minutes from October 8, 2018, BOD meeting were read, discussed and approved.
B. Financial Report was presented, discussed and approved. Balance as of October 30, 2018, is $5530.74. Most of the year’s final expenses have been paid for the 2018 season with the exception of CPRA fall fees.
C. Banquet Planning:
1. Headcount as of 11-5-18 is 135 paid and 26 sponsors attending for a total of 161;
2. We need to give the final count tomorrow morning to the caterers;
3. Also discussed a type of dessert and it will be supplied through the CSSA in order to save some expenses on the dinner;
4. Discussed the need for additional door prizes to go along with the 20+ we already have, and would like to have as many as possible.
5. We will also ask that everyone who attends the banquet to please bring a new unwrapped toy, at least $5 in value, to pass on to the children in our area for Christmas in conjunction with ‘TOYS for TOTS’.
D. League Reports concerning changes implemented this year: (given by each league director)
1. National – worked well and league was ultra competitive. People were able to play more than before;
2. American – few players were unhappy, but still believe it worked well. All teams had a chance to win games & league championship;
3. Masters – players and teams felt that the new team added into the league was given too much, and this took away from other teams. Also, some felt that season started too late;
4. Skip Wells – worked well & very competitive, as all 4 teams finished 5 & 5;
5. Gold Legends – believe that the rules helped balance the league. There were very few problems, and these few will be ironed out prior to next season;
6. Cornerstone – appeared to work well and provided a good season. League was competitive, but unfortunately 1 team did have some issues. Some players upset about the amount of double headers, but this issue will be corrected for the 2019 season;
7. Lowell Lawson – some players upset because this league was basically created for players with less abilities and heading towards the end of their careers. They felt as though the newer players were actually pushing them out. This issue will be addressed by the BOD at the December meeting.
E. Umpires Report:
1. Good season w/umpires and the changes that were put in place this year;
2. Issues were corrected through the season and showed that a 1 umpire system can work if the umpire hustles on the field just like the players;
3. Three additional umpires are going to be added to the league for next year to cover for absent umpires and/or double headers.
F. Golf Tournament & Fundraising:
1. Currently there are 48 people registered to play on 11-12-18, at the Towne Lake Hills Golf Club, and tee time is set for 9:00 AM.
2. Awards for low gross, longest drive, closest to the pin, etc. There will also be random handicap holes and some other special surprises;
3. We believe that the tournament will raise about $1500, to pass on to special charities;
4. Thanks to Tom Cameron, bad finger and all.
G. 2019 BOD and Committees:
1. Need to establish some smaller committees to assist the BOD with rules;
2. Sponsor committee to assist in generating new sponsors, and provide information to clients on what a sponsorship in the CSSA can generate for their business. Need some of the players who are or have been involved in sales in the past to be a part of the committee;
3. Banquet committee to assist in locations, menus, dates, etc.
H. 2019 Calendar:
1. Spring season will begin April 1, 2019…no fooling!
2. Evaluations tentatively scheduled for February 16/17, 23/24 and March 2/3 (if needed);
3. Drafts will be held sometime between March 6 and 14;
4. Fall season will begin August 12, 2019, except for Cornerstone league that will begin on August 19, 2019;
5. Evaluations are tentatively scheduled for July 9, 14, 16 and 21;
6. Drafts will be held between July 23 and 30.
I. REMINDER – team managers will collect ALL the uniform shirts from his players as to have them available for the next season. This will defer some expenses for new shirts for new players.
J. Only 1 sponsor did not re-up this year, and they will be replaced with a new sponsor for the 2019 spring season.
K. The BOD’s were informed this weekend that 2 people are resigning from the CSSA. The first is Dan Flemming (Lowell Lawson League Director). The second is Mike Carrigan (Umpire). Both men have their own reasons and they are respected by the BOD’s for their decision. They will be missed and tough to replace.
M. The meeting was adjourned at 8:25 PM.
Dorman Lane - May 18, 1935 - Nov 4, 2018
As many of you have heard, Dorman Lane (83) passed away Nov 4, 2018. Per Les Taylor, Dorman became a CSSA member approx 1999/2000 predominantly playing on Les’s teams for 18 yrs, thru Spring 2018 season. During this time, he also played tournament ball with the Gwinett Ga Peaches on their 60, 65 and 70 yr old player teams. Dorman is survived by his wife Gail, daughter Krisy along with several siblings, many nieces and nephews. Services have been set for Sat, Nov 10 at noon at Antioch Christrian Church, 3595 Sugar Pike Rd, Canton, GA 30115, visitation will be held from 10am (originally listed as 11am) to time of service. Sosebee Funeral Home in Canton, one of our sponsors, is in charge of services. They can be contacted at sosebeefuneralhome.com or 770-479-2131 for further information. Please keep Gail and family in your thoughts and prayers.
CSSA 1st ANNUAL GOLF TOURNAMENT - NOV 12, 2018 - 9:00 am
WHERE – Towne Lake Golf Club – 1003 Town Lake Hills East, Woodstock, GA 30189.
TIME- Teetime 9:00 am – Final walk up registration & fee collection begins at 8:00 am so there is more time to join in!! Come one, come all, family, friends, do not have to be a CSSA member to participate!!
COST – $55.00 per person – includes Green fees, cart rental, range balls and tons of fun. Cash beverage cart available – not included in fees.
FORMAT – 4 person team, scramble.
PRIZES – 1st & 2nd place, Longest drive, Closest to pin.
We will be collecting new, unopened toys for the Marine Toys for Tots, any contribution is welcome but not required – help make a child’s Christmas happy by our generosity and giving if you can.
Standard Course Rules apply – NO metal spikes; slacks, shorts fine but NO jeans; each player required to have own clubs, but if need, rental clubs are available.
Contact Tom Cameron if you wish to join CSSA Golf at cell: or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org with name, phone number and email address of new player.