News and Announcements
JOB POSTING: FHV Turf Coordinator
Field Hockey Victoria is looking for a new Turf Coordinator for start in September 2021. FHV would like to thank Tanya McKinney for fulfilling this role so dutifully since 2014.
Field Hockey Victoria (FHV) is the umbrella organization for the Victoria Junior Field Hockey Association (VJFHA), the Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association (VILFHA), the Vancouver Island Field Hockey Association (VIFHA) and the Umpires Association. One of the main responsibilities of this organization is to oversee the relationship and procedures for booking the artificial water-based field (Field 1) at the University of Victoria.
The FHV Turf Coordinator shall:
• Schedule bookings of all turf times for the field hockey community in Victoria, except UVic teams.
• Provide field use permit(s) to each group if needed.
• Provide a listing of booked times and available times on request to any group.
• Provide UVic Athletics and Recreation with all cancellations, revisions and requests as per agreement with UVic.
• Invoice user groups at least quarterly – in conjunction with the FHV Treasurer.
• Report to the Board as directed.
The successful candidate can demonstrate:
• An ability to schedule sports groups with competing needs using a priority matrix, required.
• Possess strong computer skills and up-to-date software, including email, Excel and Adobe Reader, required.
• Good communication and organizational skills, essential.
• Knowledge of the Victoria field hockey community, preferred.
• Be available each week throughout the year to manage the bookings and communication, required – local availability is not required as the duties can be conducted using email.
Appointment & Annual Review
• Appointment will be for one year commencing September 1, 2021
• Continuation of appointment with be subject to annual performance and suitability review by the FHV Board
• Preference will be given to candidates who do not currently sit on one of the Field Hockey Victoria members boards.
• Renumeration: $250 per month based on approximately 12 hours of work per month
Please submit a resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications for the position via e-mail to Mark Baggott, President Field Hockey Victoria at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 22, 2021 at 11:59pm. All questions may also be directed to Mark at the above email address.
The document FHV-TurfCoordinator-Posting-2021.pdf was attached to this post.
Support Canada in Tokyo
The 18-member Canadian men’s national team roster has been announced for the upcoming Tokyo Olympic games. The team leaves on Monday, July 12 for staging ahead of the 12-team tournament which kicks off on Jul. 24. Canada will face a pool that includes European greats Belgium, Germany, Netherlands and Great Britain, as well as South Africa.
There are many ways you can tune in and show your support for Team Canada in Tokyo.
Canada’s pool-play schedule: http://www.fieldhockey.ca/event/2020-olympic-games/
FIH Full schedule: http://fih.ch/media/13350272/fih_tokyo2020_hockeyinvites.pdf
Canada pool play:
Jul. 24: Canada vs Germany (3:00 PDT)
Jul. 25: Canada vs Great Britain (19:45 PDT)
Jul. 27: Canada vs Netherlands (4:45 PDT)
Jul. 28: Canada vs Belgium (18:00 PDT)
Jul. 29: Canada vs South Africa (20:15 PDT)
Send a message to Team Canada:
Field Hockey Canada is delighted to be sending off our Canadian Men’s National Team on their journey to Tokyo 2020 this Monday. In support of their journey, they have created a “Fan Mail” submission form for the purpose of gathering messages of encouragement that can be sent to them digitally during the Games.
Fill it out here:
The games will be broadcast on CBC and Field Hockey Canada will be hosting LIVE watch parties for you to join and watch with FHC fans across the country (and world!).
FHC Event Page: http://www.fieldhockey.ca/event/2020-olympic-games/
Go Canada go!
Photo Credit: Blair Shier
Summer Drop-in Field Hockey
The Sailors Field Hockey Club and Rebels Field Hockey Club are pleased to present summer drop-in field hockey for July and August 2021. This is co-ed pick-up hockey (ie. 7-aside or 11-aside games) and depending on level of players that arrive will be divided into competitive or recreational. This summer’s sessions are going to prioritize game play for adult-level league players who have not had any hockey this season.
PLEASE PRE-REGISTER EACH PARTICIPANT:
The pre-registration form is to ensure we have contact information for all interested personnel and to ensure that we can communicate the required health and safety protocols on a timely basis.
Tuesdays (7-8:30pm in July and August) hosted by the Sailors Field Hockey Club
Thursday (7-8:30pm in July, 8-9:30pm in August) hosted by the Rebels Field Hockey Club
First dates: Tuesday, July 6 and Thursday July 8
Last dates: Tuesday, August 31 and Thursday August 26
- Location: UVic Field 1 (water-based turf)
- Time: Please do not arrive more than 5 minutes before start time. You will not be permitted on to the field early and we are expected to leave the premises on time.
- Cost: $5 per session (cash due at the field prior to play)
- Age: 14 and up (target age is those that play in the men’s and women’s league already)
- Co-ed hockey (men and women)
- Field Max: A maximum of 50 players (including organizers, spectators and umpires) are allowed. We will turn people away if we hit the maximum.
- All players must be members in good standing with Field Hockey BC (ie. active and current membership)
- All participants who step foot on the field must fill out a COVID-19 attestation form (hard copy paper) per session. Any participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign their form (no exceptions).
- All players must play with shin guards and mouth guards
Health and Safety:
- Make sure to print and sign your COVID attestation form before each session (no exceptions)
- Masks are optional
- Physical distancing is required outside the venue (fences) but not inside the venue.
Please note that if you do not currently have a FHBC Membership for the 2020-21 season, some positive news about registration for July/August and 2021-22 is coming, so don’t register before July 1. We will forward that information along as soon as it’s available.
Questions: Ali Baggott (email@example.com) or Jim Knight (firstname.lastname@example.org)
World Masters Hockey
Field Hockey Canada is excited to announce plans to send national teams to the following World Masters Hockey (WMH) World Cup Tournaments:
Indoor Tournament (Age groups: 40+ / 45+ / 50+ / 55+)
Virginia Beach, USA
Feb 15-20, 2022
Outdoor Tournament (Age groups: 35+ / 40+)
August 12-21, 2022
Outdoor Tournament (Age groups: 45+ / 50+ / 55+ / 60+ / 65+)
Cape Town, South Africa
October 1-10, 2022
The upcoming tournaments represent a new cycle of national Master’s teams. All participating teams will be open for trials. If you were previously accepted to represent Canada on any of the 2020 teams, please be advised that you will need to retrial for your age group.
Field Hockey Canada’s Masters program is 100% self-funded by athletes selected for World Cup teams. Athletes will be expected to pay a team levy (approximately $2000-$3000) to cover the costs of uniforms, accommodations, some transportation and for the coaches’ cost for international airfare and accommodation. There may be additional costs for training and tournament travel before the World Cup events.
To be eligible to trial for Masters World Cup competition you must:
- be age 35 and older
- have paid your provincial and FHC fees
- be a Canadian citizen or meet the residency requirements of WMH
- hold a valid passport
- register as a Masters player at: https://mastersfieldhockey.ca/masters-hockey-registration/
- Masters National Teams are selected to represent Canada in a World Cup, so please encourage as many people as possible to sign up to ensure that competitive squads are sent. Further details such as program policies will be shared in due course.
To register for Field Hockey Canada’s Women’s Masters Program, please follow this link:
For those who are already registered, please also feel free to follow the link and complete the form to ensure your information and preferences are up to date.
While the World Masters Hockey and the host nations are excited to announce these dates, the health and safety of all athletes is paramount. Field Hockey Canada and WMH will continue to monitor the impact of the pandemic and make appropriate changes.
For more information about the Masters Program and the upcoming tournaments, please visit:
Junior League 2021
The Junior League have been working hard to get up and running for the 2021 season and we would love your help in spreading the word. Forwarding this e-mail to a friend, neighbour or fellow parent is an easy way to help us grow our sport. We have limited capacity this year due to the PHO restrictions so we want to communicate really early the upcoming registration date.
Registration will open Friday, February 12 at 7:00 a.m. and it will be first-come, first-served.
We have a number of modifications for this year’s season in order to follow the Public Health Officer’s guidelines for youth sport. Most notably, you will notice that our plan is to run our season in accordance with Field Hockey BC and ViaSport’s Stage 1 Return to Play Framework. This means that participants will be focusing more on technical skills and skill games that take place with physical distancing from others at all times. The biggest change you will notice is that there will be no game days and no games at the end of practice.
In addition, there will be no spectators allowed in or around the facility except for our Kindies (age 5-6) age group which will require a parent per participant for each session.
The numbers of participants per age group this year is somewhat lower than previous years to ensure we are in line with field maximums.
The full details of what to expect this season are listed on our website here: http://victoriajuniorfieldhockey.ca/clubs/393/pages/182507
We hope you will be able to join us this season.
Mark your calendars and register online at the below link starting at 7:00 am on Friday, Feb. 12: https://victoriajuniorfieldhockey.spappz.com/register
If you would like to join us as a volunteer lead or assistant coach please fill out this form or e-mail Ali Baggott (email@example.com) for more details.
Victoria Junior Field Hockey Association