News and Announcements
The 2nd annual fall charity tournament will once again be held at Towne Lake Hills Golf Club, 1003 Town Lake Hills E, Woodstock, GA on Monday November 11, 2019. You do not have to be a CSSA member to participate – the more the merrier.
We are collecting new, unwrapped toy(s) to be donated to Toys For Tots; while not mandatory, any toy would be appreciated in making a child’s Christmas more enjoyable.
TIME – Check In and Practice at 11am – Shotgun Start at 12:00 Noon.
COST – $60.00 Advance and $65.00 day of event. This includes green fees, cart rental, range balls and tons of fun. Mulligans and Putt Strings will be available – 1 each at $5.00 each.
FORMAT – 4 person team, Scramble.
PRIZES – Lowest Gross and Net Scores, Longest Drive – under 64 yrs and over 65 yrs, Closest to Pin
Standard Course Rules Apply – NO metal spikes; Slacks, collared shirts, shorts fine but NO Jeans; each player required to have own clubs but if need, rental clubs are available.
CONTACT – Tom Cameron for more information, register to play either by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-918-0500. Please list your name, email address, if you have a team together or want to be placed on a team. Again, you do not have to be a CSSA member to participate.
Howard passed away Tues October 15, 2019 after an illustrious career as a Firefighter beginning in 1973 as not only a volunteer but eventually help organize into a paid department retiring as Captain in 1995. In same year, 1995, he helped form Cherokee Senior Softball Assoc with Lowell Lawson, along with a few others who remain players in 25 years of our organization. Up until the 2019 Season, Howard could always be found at every player evaluation and Managed the Custom Graphics team for many years. In 2011, he was presented the Arnold Fowler Award for many years and hours put forth with CSSA.
Service will be tomorrow October 18th at Winkenhofer Pine Ridge Funeral Home in Kennesaw. Visitation is from 12:00 to 2:00 pm with Funeral Service at 2:00 pm. Address is 2950 Cobb Parkway NW, Kennesaw 30152
CSSA BOARD MINUTES
October 7, 2019
The monthly meeting of the CSSA Board was held 10-07-2019, at Gameday Grill, and called to order by Norm Thiem at 6:35 PM;
Present members: Ray DeLuca, Norm Thiem, Dewey Hom, Bob Hammond, Dick O’Conner, Robbie Crider, Mike Parson, Andy Tubbs, John Humeston, Bob Werner & Leland Brown.
Absent Members: Don DiSalvo, Randy Bergman & Darrell Moreland.
A. Minutes from the 9-02-2019, meeting was discussed & approved.
B. Financial report was read & discussed.
C. Discussed different avenues for 2020 season concerning sponsors, umpires and players fees. These items will be tabled until next meeting, and a sub-committee will be established to discuss and bring ideas for a plan for the future.
The sub-committee will consist of:
1. Mike Parson 2. Bob Hammond
3. Leland Brown 4. Ray DeLuca
D. Arnold Fowler nominations received:
1. Wes LeCroy 2. Gary Bedoe
3. Mike Fortenberry 4. Jerry King
E. Lowell Lawson nominations:
1. Jerry King 2. Norm Theim
F. Banquet Update:
Banquet is scheduled for Thursday, November 14, 2019, at Fendley Farmstead in Canton, GA. The banquet is limited to 200 people so please purchase tickets ASAP to guarantee a seat. No ticket sales at door. Start time is 6:30 PM, and should be over around 9:30 PM. It will be catered by Prestige Catering and the menu consists of two main entrees; Chicken Cordon Blue & Beef Filet Medallions, as well as salad, vegetables, rolls, drinks and dessert. Price is $25 per player and $15 for spouse. Each player will receive a free 25th Anniversary CSSA hat with their paid ticket. Additional hats may be purchased at $10 each. Tickets may be purchased from any league director. We also ask that you please bring an unwrapped child’s gift in order to support our local Toys for Tots Christmas programs.
- In order to have an accurate head count, ALL ticket sales MUST be completed by 10-31-19.
G. Golf Tournament:
The CSSA Charity Golf Tournament will take place on Monday, November 11, 2019, at the Towne Lake Hills Country Club. Check-in and practice begins at 11:00 AM, and Shotgun start is at 12:00 PM (High Noon). Price is $60 per player in advance, and $65 on day of event. Contact Tom Cameron 404-918-0500, or Norm Thiem 770-757-8467, for entry forms or further details. We also ask for unwrapped child’s toys for our Toys for Tots Christmas programs.
H. BOD Positions:
There will be 2 BOD positions open for the upcoming 2020 season. If anyone is interested or would like to nominate someone, please contact anyone on the BOD ASAP. Nominations MUST be received by October 11, 2019. The 2 positions that will be available are:
1. National League Director
Currently there is 1 position that has two people in contention… Monday morning Gold Senior League has incumbent Darrell Moreland against Jack Dulaney.
Voting will take place beginning October 14, 2019, and extend through the end of fall season.
I. Reminder… GameDay, one of our CSSA sponsors, has set up a program that will give back to the CSSA, 20% of their proceeds, of gross sales, on Tuesday nights for all players that visit and purchase food & beverages. Players will just need to notify their server that they play for a team in the CSSA.
J. Next BOD meeting will be Monday, November 4, 2019, GameDay Grill, 6:30 PM.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM.
The purpose of the CSSA is to promote sportsmanship,
HAVE FUN & ENJOY
I have put in a help ticket for the Mobile App.
It is not working at this time.
CSSA Board of Directors Meeting September 2, 2019
Present: Norm Thiem, Bob Werner, John Humeston, Robbie Crider, Bob Hammond, Randy Bergman, Dewey Hom, Darrell Moreland, Dick O’Conner and Leland Brown
Absent: Mike Parson, Ray Deluca
Meeting called to order at 6:30pm by Norm Thiem
Financial report was not ready at this time.
• Discussed what to do about managers and/or players not turning money in on time. What do we need to fix process. It was brought up to enforce “No pay No play”
• Discussed the use of Constant Contact and how we can use it more efficiently. It was brought up to have a training session.
• Sponsor update: Still have 2 teams not paid. Ray still working on this.
• Banquet update: Will take place on Thursday, November 14th, at Findley Farmstead, Canton, Georgia. Ray Deluca is working to finalize menu. Tickets will go on sale soon. Price will be $25 and you will also receive a CSSA 25th Anniversary hat. Tickets for spouse will be $15. Sponsors will not get a hat with their ticket. There will be additional hats available for $10.
• Arnold Fowler Award – In 1997, the Board of Directors recognized there was more important things than batting average, home runs and RBI’s. It was decided to honor one player, chosen by his peers, who demonstrates the quality of integrity, dedication, teamwork, and other intangibles to a high degree. The first player to receive this award was Arnold Fowler. If you would like to nominate someone for this award please do so by submitting a written detailed justification as to why you think this person deserves this prestigious award. Please submit nominations to secretary, Ray Deluca, by October 11th. Note: past winners are not eligible.
• Lowell Lawson Award – This award is based on the belief that there are many who wish to participate, but few are willing to take the leadership role to plan, implement and maintain the organization. This award was established to recognize those individuals who take the extra steps to ensure the organization flourishes. Award is limited to Board Members and Managers. If you would like to nominate someone for this prestigious award please do so by October 11th. Please send to Ray Deluca. Each nominee requires a written detailed justification. Note: past winners are not eligible.
• League MVP – It was proposed that the League Champion will continue to pick the MVP from their team. It was also proposed and approved that the entire team will vote for the winner. In case of a tie the league director will cast the tie breaker.
• Nominations for Board positions – All board positions will be open for next year. If you would like nominate someone, or run for a position yourself, please forward your intentions to Ray Deluca by October 11th.
• Rainouts – working on a contingency plan in case of additional rainouts. A couple of ideas will be sent to managers.
• Next meeting September 30th, time and place to be determined.
• Meeting adjourned at 8:30pm.