Code of conduct:
The Monroe-Woodbury Little League has implemented the following Code of Conduct for the important message it holds about the proper role of parents in supporting their child in sports.
Parents and Coaches must read, understand and acknowledge the terms of our programs prior to submitting payment for registration in order for their children are eligible to participate.
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: Trust worthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and good citizenship.
The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character.”
I therefore agree:
• I will not force my child to participate in sports.
• I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
• I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
• I will learn and understand the rules of the game and the policies of the Monroe-Woodbury Little League.
• I and my guests will be a positive role model for my child and encourage good sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event.
• I and my guests will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
• I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well-being of the athletes.
• I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
• I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
• I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
• I will praise my child for competing fairly, trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
• I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participants for making a mistake or losing a competition.
• I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning. I will also de-emphasize games and competition in the lower age groups.
• I will promote the emotional and physical wellbeing of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
• I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
• I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
Parents agree to:
1. Learn, understand and abide by Little League rules, regulations and policies of the MWLL.
2. Promote good sportsmanship by setting a positive example while coaching your children.
3. Respect the integrity and judgment of the league administration.
4. Approach competition as a healthy and constructive exercise, not as a life and death struggle that requires victory at any price.
5. Recognize that the participants are young men and women with human frailties and limitations, who are capable of making mistakes.
6. Refrain from the use of crude, abusive or profane language, while engaging officials, coaches, players, opponents or spectators.
7. Instruct the players in good sportsmanship and remove players from competition who demonstrate un-sportsmanlike behavior.
8. Avoid behavior that will incite officials, coaches, players, opponents or spectators.
9. Avoid the use, misuse and negative impact of drugs, alcohol and tobacco, on the players, spectators and the game.
10. I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
11• I agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines, I will be subject to disciplinary action that may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Verbal & written warning by official, head coach, and/or league president
- Game sanction and or suspension with documentation of incident to be kept on file by the League
- Game forfeit through the official or coach
- Season suspension or removal from program
- Anyone guilty of improper conduct at any game or practice will be asked to leave the field and be suspended from the following game.